Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Day 13 :: The Upper Room

Love is Sacrifice, Not Tolerance
January 28, 2015
Steven Ackley, Associate Pastor | College & Young Adults

The word love is often overused in our culture, and likely that is because it is misunderstood. Love is sometimes thought to be demonstrating interest in something, kindness, or simply not being too hateful. The Bible says love is much more than that and goes much deeper than that. 

1 Corinthians 13 teaches us that who we are and what we do are of no value without love. Paul also takes the opportunity to unpack a picture of precisely what this love is. True love seeks the God-honoring best of others, no matter what the cost for myself. True love doesn’t require someone earn my affection, but requires me to surrender my own affection. True love is best understood as sacrifice, not tolerance.

The last time you said or thought, “I love _____,” what did you mean? Did you mean to say, “I’m interested in you” or did you mean to say, “I’m willing to seek your best no matter what it costs me.” According to Paul, if this type of love is neither our motivation nor our practice, we are nothing and what we do amounts to nothing. Therefore if we desire to have meaning and significance in our lives, let us love one another.

TWEET THIS: Love is sacrifice, not tolerance. #UpperRoom


ADDITIONAL SCRIPTURES: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13