Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Day 2 :: Rare Elements

Connect In: Christ-like Influence
Jim Boyd, Director | Support Services

In Matthew 5:1-16, we see a wonderful picture of what believers are to be as followers of Christ, the attitude of the world towards us as believers, and our reaction towards the world. 

In verses 1-9, we are to be poor in spirit, mournful and meek, thirsting for righteousness, merciful, pure at heart, and peacemakers. Versus 10-12 are transitional; the world will hate and persecute us.

But even through the persecution, Christ says we are still to go out and be The Salt and The Light. These pronouns are emphatic. We are the only salt to influence a decaying world. We are the only lights to reflect the light of The Son on a dark world.

President Woodrow Wilson told this story. He said, “I was in a very common place. I was sitting in a barber chair when I became aware that a personality had entered the room. A man had come quietly in upon the same errand as myself, to have his hair cut, and sat in the chair next to me. Every word the man uttered, though it was not in the least didactic, showed a personal interest in the man who was serving him. And before I got through with what was being done for me, I was aware that I had attended an evangelistic service, because Mr. D.L. Moody was in that chair.” He goes on to say, “I purposely lingered in the room after he had left and noted the singular effect that his visit had brought upon the barber shop. They talked in undertones. They didn’t know his name, but they knew that something had elevated their thoughts. And I felt that I left the place as I should have left the place of worship.”

TWEETABLE QUOTE: Our influence should be the preserving salt and reflecting light of Christ. #RareElements