Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 37 :: Rare Elements

Completely Generous: Time & Influence
Carmen Menser, Director | Journey Kids' Worship


The other day I was eating lunch at a fast food restaurant with my four kids. One of the women who helped me that afternoon had the sweetest attitude and her energy encouraged me. So I said as much to her and thanked her for her sweet attitude in the midst of what I knew was a crazy day. Before I left a co-worker of hers came and told me that she had shared the things I had said and was amazed at my kindness and that my words had made her day. I was taken aback, I hadn’t said anything amazing or out of the ordinary, but I had said more than thank you. 

Later I was reflecting on that situation and I was struck by the weight of our words and the power they have to influence. Scripture tells us that life and death are in the power of the tongue. We can choose to give life to those around us, sometimes with just a simple word of thanks. Ephesians 5:15-16 tells us to pay close attention to how we walk, making the most of our time. Our time is valuable but so are our words. What would happen if we used both our time and our words to influence the lives of those around us? What would happen if we gave them both away generously for the glory of God? Today I am challenged to let God use my influence to help move people toward His Mission. What about you?

TWEETABLE QUOTE: “Our time is valuable but so are our words.  What would happen if we used both our time and our words to influence the lives of those around us?”